Tuesday, May 24, 2005

socks on the brain

Well, as I am sure the recipient of the koigu socks has figured out, carma will get the koigu socks when she visits this weekend. I have been telling her for quite some time now, that if she wanted hand knit socks she would just have to knit them herself.

I decided to borrow a tactic fron the Too Much Wool's plan for converting sock knitting hold-outs. Gift one pair, she will fall into sock knitting line. :)

I must have socks on the brains.

A while back Tricky posted about Dan's ill-fated spiral sock attempt. I got to thinking, except for Dan's not having quite enought yarn to finish it, that this could certainly be done. I know what you are thinking, "Who wants to knit tube socks? Isn't the idea So, here is my to knit custom fit footwear?"Simply borrow a page from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears, and put in afterthought heels.

For those of you who are not familiar with this book, (Find it. Read it. It's got all sorts of great little tips and tricks to it.) you essentially knit a tube sock, then decide where to place the heel, snip one stitch and unravel until you have adequate "live stitches", then knit them as if you were knitting the toe of your sock.

Now to start on mine.

After I stop coughing so hard I vomit.

No comments:

Post a Comment